Edwin O. Smith Foundation Teacher Grants: 2015-16
In May of 2015, twelve faculty and staff members, as well as the World Language Department, received over $22,000 in Foundation grants to be used during the 2015-16 school year. Awarded on a competitive basis, the teachers received funding for the second year to support the EOS Reads program, for on-line summer enrichment programming for Science and World Language for high-achieving students, computers and a printer for the Academic Support Center, as well as for several other initiatives.
- Kaitlyn Anderson - Math - $1000 - Wired Mice
- Elizabeth Andrews - Fine Arts - $1165 - Large Tablet Computer
- Heather Bunnell - Fine Arts - $1165 - Large Tablet Computer
- Nadeen Gray & Mary Murphy - Special Services - $2740 - Case Management iPads
- Sarah Smith - WL - $3500 - Mobile Language Lab
- Dave Tanner & Karen Parulo - $1500 - Academic Study Center, Computers and Printer
- Denise Abercrombie & Linda Mathis - English - $6000 - E.O. Smith Reads
- Jon Swanson & Diane Hannon - Science - $3900 - Summer Science Online Enrichment
- World Language Faculty - WL - $1100 - Summer Language Online Enrichment
This year's E.O. Smith READS assembly on March 31, 2016 will feature Dr. Ronald L. Mallett, renowned outlier, physicist, professor, and author of Time Traveler: A Scientist’s Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality. Students will be eligible to win free copies of Time Traveler in the days ahead, and books will be on sale at a reduced rate at all events (Thanks to Bob Smith at the UConn Co-op Bookstore).
Parents and community members are also invited to hear Dr. Mallett on March 31, 2016 from 7-9 p.m. in the E.O. Smith auditorium.
Please see the following introductory links about Dr. Ronald Mallett's inspiring career and life story:
How to Build a Time Machine: https://vimeo.com/94198854 (Dr. Mallett appears at 1:33)
The Academic Minute: http://academicminute.org/2015/02/ron-mallett-uconn-theories-of-time-travel/
The Washington Post: Meet the Physicist Who Wants to Build a Time Machine ....